sarah jane in new york city

Sunday, July 03, 2005

Live 8!!!

Yesterday (Saturday) was fabulous. I slept in, not too late though, and spent some time walking around the campus. I then tried to go to brunch at the cafeteria only to find out that it doesn't open until 11 am on the weekends (what!?). I met another girl with the same problem and we decided that we would head down to the big concert together after getting a bite to eat for breakfast. Stephanie and I took the Philly subway down to Center City (what they call the downtown in Philadelphia) and joined the masses heading down to the Art Museum to see the Live 8 benefit concert. Stephanie wanted to see how close we could get to the stage (NOT a good idea) as we passed two of the jumbo-trons we were soon in an uncomfortable mass of people. For about twenty minutes, I was squished by people pressing up against my body on all sides. We heard cursing and blow horns and moved forward only by being pushed from behind. It was horrible! At one point I closed my eyes and thought "I'm calm and cool and safe. Feel the cocoon around you," instead of thinking this is the scariest thing that has ever happened to me - I could be crushed at any moment.
Fortunately, we made it out of the mob and headed back to one of the big screens. We found a place to sit/stand and watch a few groups perform. I saw the Black Eyed Peas, Destiny's Child, Kanye West, Bon Jovi, and Will Smith all sing about three songs each and talk to the crowd about making "poverty history." This part was fun and made the whole trip worth it. When Toby Keith came on, I decided it was time for me to go and left Stephanie to go back to the dorm.
When I got back to Temple, I got ready to go swimming in the outdoor pool and when I got there I found out that it was closed for 4th of July weekend. Bummer! I'll just have to go next weekend. I then took another walk around campus and made a run on Rite-Aid. It's amazing how many things there are to buy for my classroom. Every day I think of something else. The smartest thing I've done so far as a TFAer is bring along scissors, markers, and glue to Institute with me. Now I just wish I had brought a stapler, three hole punch, colored paper, and a children's library. I guess this is an exercise in making the most of what you have.
I spent the evening watching Sister Act and making posters. I've got most everything done for this week and just need to complete my lesson plans for Thursday and Friday before tomorrow. It's a beautiful day in Philadelphia!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home