sarah jane in new york city

Friday, June 10, 2005

An interview!

I just found out yesterday that I have an interview for a teaching position in New York next week. It’s at a great school in East Harlem (Manhattan) for an ESL (English as a Second Language) position at a high school. I must admit that I’m a little disappointed that the job is with high school, but other than that I’m psyched. I was really hoping that I would get to teach the little ones, elementary schoolers I mean, but I think that I could really do well in this position also.
My mom and I went to see a movie the other night that was great inspiration for teaching in New York. It’s called Mad Hot Ballroom and I recommend it to anyone. It’s a documentary about a bunch of New York City fifth graders that had the opportunity to take ballroom dance lessons at their public schools and then compete in a citywide competition. It shows you the real life side of New York that you don’t usually see in the movies. When it comes right down to it, kids are pretty much the same everywhere – they all need love, encouragement, and, of course, good teachers!
I have gone through all of my worldly belongings here in Arizona and tried to sort them all – give-away, store, and send to NY. Needless to say, I still have a lot of packing to do before my departure next Saturday. I also have a ton of reading to do before I leave, so I plan to work on all of that today, tomorrow, and every spare moment I have until my plane leaves next Saturday at 8 a.m.
Mare and I are still hiking and biking here in the desert and loving every minute of it. We had some family friends over for dinner last night and had a lot of fun. I decided to try some new, complicated recipes and everything turned out great – phyllo stuffed with mushroom cream and grilled vegetable lasagna. I suppose that I won’t be cooking like that for a while, so I didn’t mind at all that it took me four hours to get the whole thing ready.
And now for another beautiful day in the desert . . . and time to prepare for my big interview!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home