Report on the Interview
On Wednesday I traveled uptown to interview for an ESL position at M.S. 328, Manhattan Middle School for Scientific Inquiry. This middle school has just completed its first year and shares a large three story school building with two other middle schools, one of which will be phased out after the coming school year. In the 2005-2006 school year, M.S. 328 will be moving up their first class of sixth graders to seventh and welcoming a new sixth grade class. The position that I am being considered for is a multi-faceted one that includes teaching self-contained periods of ESL, as well as push-in and pull-out periods and working with ESL students in Social Studies content courses.
I left my apartment two hours early so that I would have time to explore the neighborhood and get lost, just in case. It took me a little over forty-five minutes to travel the requisite five miles from York and 85th to Amsterdam and 164th. I first got on the cross-town bus, the shorter distance and longer time factor, and made it all the way across the east side of Manhattan and through Central Park. I then descended the subway stairs as I so often find myself doing now and made my way uptown from 86th street to 163rd. When I got off the subway, I felt like I was in another world. The smells, sounds, and sights were completely different from where I had just been. I was in the Caribbean right in the middle of New York City. I found the school and, since I was still more than an hour early, walked into a friendly looking deli to get some breakfast and read a while. I quickly realized that the young woman behind the counter did not speak English at all, so we conversed in Spanish and shared several cordial words. Another employee walked up to the counter and, with his greater command of English, told me a bit about the neighborhood and his beautiful country: the Dominican Republic. He then asked me what I thought was an odd questions, but really was quite normal to him. “Where is your family from?,” he asked. “Arizona,” I said, matter of factly. “No, no, no, from Europe,” he insisted. At first I didn’t know how to respond. I decided on Germany. “Alemania. My mother’s family has been here since the Revolutionary War.” He seemed impressed at this response and followed with a comment on how not many people how look like me come to this neighborhood. He said that the white people that come there are usually very nice and friendly, not hostile like most Latinos would expect for them to be. I just smiled and nodded and thought how fortunate I was to be in this place.
I then made my way to the school and signed in with the New York City police officers that were at the front door. The vice principal found me a while later and took me back to the office. He began the interview and explained that the principal had been called away to an unexpected meeting and would be there as soon as possible. His first comments to me were about the school and what would be expected of teachers there. He said that the school culture emphasized that all decisions be based on students’ needs and that teachers should know that their jobs extend past the 8:30 to 3:30 school day. He asked me some questions about my classroom management procedures, my strengths and weaknesses as a teacher, and my desires for professional development. I felt that this part of the interview was conducted in a highly professional, thorough manner.
The principal then arrived: a big, jolly Latino man full of life and excitement. He introduced himself and then we got right back to business. After a few more questions, he explained more about the position and how each instructor would have one period a week (or a day, I’m not quite sure) for enrichment courses. While looking at my resume, he asked if I would be willing to teach a nutrition course or possibly even something having to do with singing. I was pleased by this and he later explained that he really encourages his teachers to take leadership roles in the school, organizing events and such. He then emphasized that he, and the vice principal, are not typical New York City administrators. They do not want the status quo at their school or status quo instructors. I assured him that wherever I teach I will work diligently for the students I serve. I also mentioned that I would love to be part of a school where that type of commitment is expected of all teachers.
The principal and vice-principal mentioned that they had a few other people to interview, but they would get back to me within the week. I had a very good feeling about the interview and really hope that I can get the job. I think that it would be fantastic to work with these people and in the exciting, beautiful Latino neighborhood of Washington Heights. By the way, I had dressed in a navy blue skirt with light blue flowers on it and a baby blue shirt. When the principal arrived he told me that I was actually wearing the school uniform. All students are required to wear light blue on top and navy on bottom. How perfect that I should chose those colors for my interview day! He said that many of the teachers dress in the uniform as well. Anyway, the interview was great and on the way home I stopped at the grocery store (the prices being at least 1/3 less than they are in my neighborhood) and headed back to my new home.
I left my apartment two hours early so that I would have time to explore the neighborhood and get lost, just in case. It took me a little over forty-five minutes to travel the requisite five miles from York and 85th to Amsterdam and 164th. I first got on the cross-town bus, the shorter distance and longer time factor, and made it all the way across the east side of Manhattan and through Central Park. I then descended the subway stairs as I so often find myself doing now and made my way uptown from 86th street to 163rd. When I got off the subway, I felt like I was in another world. The smells, sounds, and sights were completely different from where I had just been. I was in the Caribbean right in the middle of New York City. I found the school and, since I was still more than an hour early, walked into a friendly looking deli to get some breakfast and read a while. I quickly realized that the young woman behind the counter did not speak English at all, so we conversed in Spanish and shared several cordial words. Another employee walked up to the counter and, with his greater command of English, told me a bit about the neighborhood and his beautiful country: the Dominican Republic. He then asked me what I thought was an odd questions, but really was quite normal to him. “Where is your family from?,” he asked. “Arizona,” I said, matter of factly. “No, no, no, from Europe,” he insisted. At first I didn’t know how to respond. I decided on Germany. “Alemania. My mother’s family has been here since the Revolutionary War.” He seemed impressed at this response and followed with a comment on how not many people how look like me come to this neighborhood. He said that the white people that come there are usually very nice and friendly, not hostile like most Latinos would expect for them to be. I just smiled and nodded and thought how fortunate I was to be in this place.
I then made my way to the school and signed in with the New York City police officers that were at the front door. The vice principal found me a while later and took me back to the office. He began the interview and explained that the principal had been called away to an unexpected meeting and would be there as soon as possible. His first comments to me were about the school and what would be expected of teachers there. He said that the school culture emphasized that all decisions be based on students’ needs and that teachers should know that their jobs extend past the 8:30 to 3:30 school day. He asked me some questions about my classroom management procedures, my strengths and weaknesses as a teacher, and my desires for professional development. I felt that this part of the interview was conducted in a highly professional, thorough manner.
The principal then arrived: a big, jolly Latino man full of life and excitement. He introduced himself and then we got right back to business. After a few more questions, he explained more about the position and how each instructor would have one period a week (or a day, I’m not quite sure) for enrichment courses. While looking at my resume, he asked if I would be willing to teach a nutrition course or possibly even something having to do with singing. I was pleased by this and he later explained that he really encourages his teachers to take leadership roles in the school, organizing events and such. He then emphasized that he, and the vice principal, are not typical New York City administrators. They do not want the status quo at their school or status quo instructors. I assured him that wherever I teach I will work diligently for the students I serve. I also mentioned that I would love to be part of a school where that type of commitment is expected of all teachers.
The principal and vice-principal mentioned that they had a few other people to interview, but they would get back to me within the week. I had a very good feeling about the interview and really hope that I can get the job. I think that it would be fantastic to work with these people and in the exciting, beautiful Latino neighborhood of Washington Heights. By the way, I had dressed in a navy blue skirt with light blue flowers on it and a baby blue shirt. When the principal arrived he told me that I was actually wearing the school uniform. All students are required to wear light blue on top and navy on bottom. How perfect that I should chose those colors for my interview day! He said that many of the teachers dress in the uniform as well. Anyway, the interview was great and on the way home I stopped at the grocery store (the prices being at least 1/3 less than they are in my neighborhood) and headed back to my new home.
